Tuesday, December 25, 2012

5 year recollections on Sella del Diavolo, Ola Dubh and Three Philosophers

Brewed by Birrificio Barley www.barley.it, the Devil's Saddler is one of the best ales I've had. Not that I've had it in over 5 years so the memory of it might be a lot better than I remember. What I do remember is an easy drinking (6.5 ABV) malty ale with well balance fruit flavors. A very rich ale more in line with Belgian ales than American craft ales. Had this when a restaurant was closing down and selling all their stock (primarily B. United) at half price. Otherwise I couldn't afford this beer or any B. United beer. Expect to pay near or over $20 for the 750 ml bottle. Drink again? Yes! Buy again? Regrettably, no, my budget can't afford it. A+

At the same blow-out sale, I acquired Harviestoun's Ola Dubh (Black Oil), a Scottish ale matured in Highland Park's 12 year whiskey casks. Dark, thick, and best drunk approaching room temp, if I remember the overtones were coffee and chocolate. It was well-balanced with any hops well-hidden. I don't remember the taste of whiskey. Frankly, I don't remember it much at all. 8% ABV. Drink again? Yes if sitting by a warm fire. Buy again? No. Just too pricey for me. A.

Forgot that this was also the first time I tried Ommegang's Three Philosophers Belgian-styled Quad. An ale sweetened with cherries, I remember it was stronger than the Sella and less balanced but entirely drinkable. This past summer and fall, I've had the chance to drink 3Phil in small bottle format from an Ommegang variety pack and in large bottle format in another variety pack. Then and now it had a metallic finish for me and the sweetness is too much as if it's there to mask the high ABV. I've never been a big quad fan so this one is already starting off handicapped. Compared to other quads it's not bad. Compared to other Ommegang styles, it's at the bottom. B+











No comments:

Post a Comment